Parasailing

I tried Parasailing last Saturday and loved it. My husband and I were thinking of doing something different for our anniversary this time. So between going off on a short trip for the Labour Day long-weekend and parasailing, the latter was the more attractive option. It was getting cooler and rainier in Seattle by the day as Summer was paving way for Fall, so if I didnt do it now I'll have to wait for another year. And there was no way I could wait that long with out my aniticipation blowing out of proportion. After all its not every day that one gets to indulge in adventure sports.

So I fixed appointments at Pier 66 at Seattle Downtown. The prices were reasonable and it was fairly closer to where we lived.
The only time my heart skipped a beat was during lift off. Until that moment I had no idea how its done, so I guess I was just caught by surprise, even though I was excited about the whole event. But after the initial few seconds I was fully at ease and that helped me enjoy the whole experience.

The wind was good and cool. The Puget Sound was on one side and down-town Seattle on the other. I didnt go very high, but it was high enough that if I looked directly below me at the water, it was scary. The water was wavy and honestly I did wonder how it would feel it if I dropped right in to it. Would it be too cold, i guessed not, it wasnt that cold that day. The boat wasnt that far, I am sure they could come and rescue me if I did have an accident. What am I thinking, I banished those thoughts and went back enjoying the flight. Two planes flew right above my head, they were much closer, but it was far quiter up here except for the wind and the flapping sounds of the parachute above me. The only disappointent was that it was not one of the 90 days in the year when the beautiful Mt. Ranier decides to make an appearance above the Seattle horizon. She could be seen from any corner of the city if she does decide to show up, but she doesnt like it even if its slightly cloudy. Nevertheless the view was breath-taking and the feel of the cool wind rushing through my hair was indescribably awesome although next time I should remember to bring some thing to cover my ears.
I was up in the air for approximately 9 minutes. The boat stopped for a couple of minutes and the parachute sank down by a few feet and then came to a stop half way down before going up again as the boat fired up. My husband and daughter were in the boat. I could see him take pictures of me, waiting his turn to fly next. I was shouting at the top of my lungs calling out his name, to see if he could hear me. But I guess not, I was really far up above. Once I was sure that they couldnt hear me down there, I belted out some more - " I am king of the world!!!!!" from the "Titanic" as much as I could.

A mammoth cruise vessel was getting ready to set sail on its journey after all her guests came aboard. Wonder where she was bound, may be Alaska. A number of Alaskan Cruises start from Seattle and they are hugely popular with the tourists and with this being the Labour Day long-weekend a lot of people were lining up for the cruise. I had seen a long line in front of the ticket counter earlier. She was a beauiful vessel and I bet it would be a fun trip, may be I could think about it for our next anniversary. For now I was having incredible fun floating on air for 10 minutes on top of the world enjoying the late Summer cool Seattle wind. It was a September to remember!

Comments

Awesome... experience. I would love to do, but i am very scared of heights... ;). I am glad atleast you had fun. Belated Anniversary wishes!

Popular posts from this blog

Dosa Digressions That are Here to Stay

The Ensuing Saga of an Experience Letter!!

Back to School !!!