The Help

I loved every minute of reading The Help. Loved the plot, characters and the style of writing. I like it for the simplicity of language that makes it so easy to glide from one page to another. Before you know it you've finished reading the book. While dealing with a hightly sensitive topic, the author has managed to sprinkle generaous amounts of humor that is both tounge-in-cheek and laugh-out-loud at the same time.  Humor is brilliantly interweaved in to the story making it much more interesing to read. Due to the sensitive nature of the topic, the humor prevents it from being bitter. The Help most certainly is funny but its also sensitive and deep on many levels.

Its hard not to love the three unforgettable characters in the book and I even have a favourite! Missus Stein from the book & I have the same favourite - Minny, and just like her I too have the same thing to say about Minny - " I adore her". Aibileen is my second favourite. After knowing Aibileen I wish I had a friend like her too, some one who can explain life to me in such simple words as her. Aibileen has profound character, is calm, down to earth and seems to have figured out what life is all about. Yet she can be devil's little helper some times and thats what I love about her.
The author Kathryn Stockett has drawn inspiration from her own life and the lives of people that she was close to while growing up in Jackson, Mississippi. Thats probably why she has been able to create white and colored characters that are so relatable and real.
By basing the character Aibileen on Demetrie who was Kathryn's own family maid, and the character Mae Mobley on her self, she has beautifully depicted unblemished and pure bond of love between the colored family maid and the little white girl that she looks after. That relationship seems to draw a lot from Kathryn's own realtionship with Demetrie.
As the book progresses its hard not to get emotionally involved in the plot and have feelings for the characters. Towards the end I find myself welling up while reading the last page. All of the three main characters get what they truly deserve and once you have finished reading, the book leaves you feeling satisfied and hopeful in a good way. Thats what makes this book a success.

P.S. Now that the book is over I am eagerly waiting for my DVD to arrive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dosa Digressions That are Here to Stay

The Ensuing Saga of an Experience Letter!!

Back to School !!!