Diary jottings

I am on a mission. I want to loose weight and feel great!
For the past one and a half years I watched my husband shrink and loose up to 85  lbs. He had a diet plan and he stuck to it so the pounds just came off.
Ideally I should be doing the same thing, but I haven't. At the time that my husband started on his new diet I was 5 months pregnant and used that as an excuse. But now my son is 11 months old and I just got tired of giving excuses. No more excuses from me! I have made a decision and I am determined to stick to it. I am going to follow my husband's diet plan and see where that takes me.

Today April 23rd, 2013 - my weight is 152 lbs. I will check back in a month's time or may be in 2 to 3 weeks (if i get too anxious) to see where I am.

Today April 26th, 2013 - I am on track so far although it is harder than I thought it would be. Having an affinity for sugar does not help at all. Among other things, I have forbidden myself from having anything with artificially added sugar in it. Earlier when I had sugar cravings I just went and treated myself to a chocolate(there is always some at home) or eat some other form of sugary, processed junk. But now I have discovered that the trick for not giving in to these cravings is to avoid being hungry, that is apart from having some self-control. Its when I stay hungry for a longer duration that I tend to indulge in instant gratification with sugar. Then later the guilt takes a stab at my heart and the jeans, at my waist. So, to prevent my self-control from wavering, I munch in between meals on healthy snacks. This trick is working so far and I am happy to note that I have not had any cravings.

Today April 29th, 2013 - We had been to a birthday party yesterday and suddenly I find myself with no food choices other than salad! I used to enjoy eating cakes at parties, and like trying all the food too. But now I realize that its not an option anymore. Yesterday all I ate was salad! I am proud of me! There was cake, home-made and restaurant food and then some salad. The food was all white - white rice, white naan, potato curry & white pasta. Its been more than year since we have dramatically reduced our intake of all 'white' foods. I had stopped making it at home for anyone except my infant son. But when we attend events like these, I eat some 'white' food because frankly there is no other option and this is what most people eat on a regular basis. Even if you eat brown/wild rice at home, no one serves it at a party because it is not very popular. According to the new diet, 'white' foods are completely off the table. As I mentioned earlier the sweets are too. So my option is only salad and that too if it is available, because some hosts just don't serve salads at all! I guess I can adopt my husband's trick here, because even though I find my self in this new predicament now, he as been in it for about 18 months without slipping even once. I am so inspired by what he is doing that I invited myself in to his world, just to see what it takes to be that determined. I wanted to see if I can be that strong and focused too and then of course loose weight. The trick is to eat at home before the event. That way my sugar starved brain won't compel me to cheat on my diet!

Anyways after the party yesterday we headed straight for a Subway outlet - our safe and trusted eat-out option. Devu of course, had her fill at the party and so did Appu. This was just for us.
Surely this is how the food is going to be in all of the events. I am going to have to accept it and train my self to get immune to sweet and white temptations. I have a plan and its working, hopefully it sticks.

Today April 30th, 2013 - Its been a week. I know I said that I will check my weight in 2 to 3 weeks time if I get anxious. But who are we kidding!? Turns out I am super-anxious and checked my weight today. 151.0 lbs. Actually I have a confession. I checked my weight a couple of times already within the past week! And like I predicted there was no substantial change. But to loose nearly one pound in a week is fine with me. Slow is good, it will stick longer. I wasn't expecting anything drastic either. I am 10 lbs shy of my ideal weight, so at this point the rate will be slow. That gives me three months to achieve my target with no major lifestyle changes. I like that. Because so far its only been diet control and that too a sensible one that I can sustain for much longer. Even though I am aware that including a physical activity will help me a great deal, I haven't planned for it. The main reason for that is lack of sustainability. At this point in my life I don't think I can stick to a physical routine, however simple. Even if I did, it could last only for a couple of weeks and after that its effects will reverse which I don't want to see happen, could be demotivating. So physical activity can wait.

Today, May 06th, 2013 - I have gone one full week without weighing myself(appraising self-pat on back). A couple of days ago we made sadya at home for my son's first b'day. I relaxed my rules a little and let myself have a full-course meal complete with payasam. A first b'day wont come again. I know its an excuse, but a valid one.
One of the main reasons that I hesitate to make sweet dishes at home is coz there are no takers for it. Ultimately I end up eating it coz I hate to see it go waste. After all its food and a rich one at that with full-cream milk, ghee, cashews and raisins. And with that I fall off the diet wagon. The payasam is still in the refrigerator. I really don't know what to do with it. I have no craving for it. But I feel a pang of guilt every time I see it sitting there. Decide to ignore the guilt for now.
Tomorrow when I weigh myself I don't expect much change from last week. Infact I think I might have relapsed a little coz of my digression.

Today, May 07th, 2013 - Weighed my self today - 149 lbs. Ok, so I have not relapsed like I feared. I lost more than last week. This goes to prove my husband's theory that a little indulging(not binging) once in a while wont scuttle my diet plans.

Today, May 13th, 2013 - Yesterday I decided to treat my self a little. We were out dining with our friends at a nice hotel that was serving a special Sunday morning brunch for Mother's Day. I saw triple chocolate cake and being a chocoholic, its a sight I couldn't resist. I went for it. But as I ate it I was surprised that I didn't get the gratification that I was expecting. Having stayed away from chocolate for 2 weeks I was expecting my taste buds and brain to do the cheer-leader's triple flip in ecstasy. But the only person dancing was me - Oppa gangnam style! Because not only did I not get high on tasting chocolate, I actually had to force myself to finish it, not wanting to waste!! Op, op, op, op..... oppa  Gangnam Style!
 I did not see this coming. I mean I knew I have always loved chocolate but after coming to U.S my love for chocolate just exploded. This place is a chocolate lovers heaven! I have drowned my taste buds in all varieties of sinfully delicious, decadent, smooth, hot, cold, rich, dark, thick, thin, creamy, slurpy, sticky, lip-smacking, illegal tasting devil's very own chocolates and still felt monstrously insatiable! I believed I was a goner, that I'll have to check myself in to some kind of chocolate rehab or something. But now, after a mere 2 weeks of not eating it, to find it difficult to finish a piece of triple chocolate cake was some thing that I didn't not count on even in my wildest dreams!
Oppa Gangnam Style!

Today, May 14th, 2013 - Stepped on to the weighing scale with no great expectations - 148.4 lbs. Not bad even though its the lowest I have dropped in one week. But I am not complaining. Gradual progress is fine as long as there is progress. I am only counting ounces now but I'd rather do this than fast-track my way in and out of weight-loss. Next week will mark one month since I started. I am excited to see how far I have progressed.

Today, May 20, 2013 - I've decided not to weigh myself tomorrow, even though its been a week. Instead I'll wait two more days and do it on May 23rd. It will mark a month since I started, so would provide a fair gauge of my progress and also an estimate of what to expect in the future in terms of weight loss.

We celebrated our son's 1st birthday two days ago. Infact in the past one month there has been some event or the other every week - birthday parties, special occasions, cultural/religious events, dining out etc.. While I know that this may not be the case every month(this was a particularly 'event-full' one), there will be a couple of events every month. That is how its going to be. I will have to carefully navigate myself through those potential pitfalls careful not to slip.
It can be done by staying focused, avoiding over indulging, making wise choices & portion control.

Today, May 22, 2013 - My midriff started complaining since last night. I had done a few ab crunches that morning. It has been a while since I did ab crunches. I am trying to see if I can fit in a simple exercise routine in to my daily schedule. Some thing simple that doesn't require any big dependencies like fancy equipments or going to the gym. A routine that could be sustained for a long period of time provided that I am consistent enough to do it on a daily basis without fail. I guess stretches are a good idea. They improve flexibility, tone muscles, burn fat and all it requires is a mat.

Today, May 23, 2013 148 lbs. I have lost  4 lbs, an average of 1 lb a week. Its good, I am happy with my progress and to get healthier too. I continued by exercise regime of stretches that I started yesterday, hoping that I can continue it in the days to come.

One thing is for certain - getting and staying fit is a life-long mission and requires discipline. Small baby steps one day at a time can make a huge impact over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dosa Digressions That are Here to Stay

The Ensuing Saga of an Experience Letter!!

Back to School !!!