Mother's Day at School - May 8th, 2013


As I was gradually waking up from my sleep this morning, I saw my daughter turn over to me slowly blinking her sleep away. She smiled as soon as she saw me and croaked softly in a sleepy voice - " Happy Mother's Day".  I was so touched. She wasn't even fully awake and those were the first words that came out of her mouth.
(And then of course this sweet moment came to a pass soon and the usual breakfast battle ensued.)

Today is Mother's Day celebrations at Devu's school. She had been preparing for this day for weeks. My four year old little darling let some involuntary slips in the past few days on what she will be doing. As is common with most children her age, she partially understands the concept of a surprise party. I already guessed that she is reciting a rhyme for me, because they did that last year and her occasional slips confirmed it. I just didn't know which rhyme it was because Devu is always reciting rhymes at home at random. Some times during such recitals she suddenly stops herself, looks at me and says "Mommy its a surprise", an index finger at her lips.

All moms arrived on time and each child started reciting their favorite rhyme for their mom followed by "I love you mommy, because ...........(each child says some thing unique that they love about their mom)." "Happy Mother's Day" and a courtesy bow. After that they picked up a gift that they made on their own and presented it to their moms. On her turn, Devu marched on to the rug, turned to face Ms. Indu and started reciting her favorite rhyme for me(later Ms. Indu said that during practice sessions, she pretended to be their mom which is why all kids were facing her during the recitation even though they are supposed to face their own moms!).
Devu recited "One, Two Buckle my shoe." And just like her friends she too said what she loves most about her mom "Mommy I love you because you take me to safeway and buy me organic bread. Happy Mother's Day!!" Courtesy bow. All the moms and teachers were laughing while they applauded Devu.  I couldn't help myself and I was laughing simply because my daughter was just so adorable. Ms Indu whispered in my ear, "This was her own thing. She wanted to say this particular thing itself". I told Ms Indu that every time we go to safeway she tells me this although I never bought her organic bread! By the time she presented me her gift I was welling up. I have to admit I was not exactly taken off-gaurd because I have heard her say this before. According to Ms. Indu they started practicing since September. So she probably decided on what she wanted to say way back then. But she had stopped saying that recently, may be little over a month or so probably because she didn't want to ruin the surprise for me.
I was so proud of her because most of the kids her age just copy what their friends say and repeat it. They have little idea on what they are doing. But from the very beginning, Devu knew what she was doing, she knew what she wanted to say all along, never changed it in these 8 months, never copied her friends' line and even managed to maintain a certain amount of surprise element for me. Her little line for me was unique and original.
I am a proud mom of a very special girl!


Comments

That was so cute and sweet! These are the ones that kids can only do, looking at the teacher and reciting as she was practicing all these days :) By the way, do you really buy organic bread :) Belated Mother's day wishes to you Doly!
dvish said…
Thats the really funny part! We have never bought organic bread, only regular bread!! I have no idea where she got that from. But we do buy a couple of other organic foods for her regularly, so may be she mixed up those things.
Yesterday while I was vacuuming the carpet, she quickly picked up Appu and put him on the teapoy. I asked her not to do that cos he might fall and hurt himself. To that she replied " Mommy I put him on the teapoy because, you are vacuuming the dust and you will vacuum him too!!"

Kids are hilarious!

Popular posts from this blog

Dosa Digressions That are Here to Stay

The Ensuing Saga of an Experience Letter!!

Back to School !!!